How much is the average wage of content writers?

There has lately been an increase in the number of companies and individuals looking for content writers these days which makes content writing one of the most available home based online jobs. The pay for the articles that content writers submit however vary. Some companies pay 20 dollars per article while others pay as low as 1 dollar per article. Now the question, how much should content writers receive for the articles that they write?

I was prompted to write this article upon seeing this post* which says:

"On the average, a 450-word article is worth Php 1,200 in top rated magazines in the Philippines. Legitimate web companies pay P700 per 450-word article.

Now this clown wants to pay a measly Php 90. If he posts this in English-speaking countries, American writers would charge $120 per article.

He thinks we Filipino writers are that desperate. "

I have written for several companies and individuals but the highest rate that I have had so far is $18 ( around 750 pesos). Average pay is 4 to 5 dollars per article. Of course I would want higher rates for the articles that I write but sometimes I am amenable to writing even with low rates because of the following:

1. I am writing for a person/company who is really nice, honest and friendly
2. I learn things that I can employ in monetizing my own sites

*http://manila.craigslist.com.ph/wri/621135387.html

Comments

Rom said…
Yes I agree with your call that we should ignore job posting that belittle web content writers with the kind of rate they offer. I for instance have have encountered such leeches and most of them are Filipino. It’s such a sad thing that my fellow Filipinos are those that swindle and cheat me. These people are setting the trend of payment by as low as P90 per 500 word article. What can you buy by 90 pesos these days? I have encountered an offer of $1 per article along with a delayed payment too.

I am searching for a forum or some place to lobby grievances of some sort about the writer’s grievances whether locally or internationally so that we can share or compare rates of different writing jobs. Furthermore writers need a collective force in order these leeches to stop. A venue where we can air grievances where our voices will be heard, let’s admit that writer’s and their work makes these blogging and the whole internet continue to exist.

I hope we can band together or create a lobby site for writers where voices can resonate for our welfare.